The similarities and differences between domestic and global project management?

Answer:
Depends whether you mean working a global project that involves various countries, or project management in countries other than the US.

In general project management is similar the world over, although in the US the Project Management Institute is more well known than in the rest of the world where the IPMA is more known. In the UK in particular the PRINCE2 process/certification is well known - less so in the US.

Some domestic projects can be spread over many states, which presents many of the same challenges as different countries. However, international projects obviously have the additional challenges of language, customs/import/export issues, local laws, local customs, security, exchange rates, wider time differences, travel costs, international treaties etc.
The principals are the same (planning, communication, tracking etc) but you have to be much better at the communication and make more of an effort to to call people rather than rely on email to keep the relationship working.
Also obvious things like arranging meetings that are common for multiple time zones.
Also be concious of cultural differences and how that may effect peoples behaviour.
More Questions & Answers...
  • Is it legal to deduct money from an employee's paycheck as disciplinary action?
  • Where on the web can I find resources to Help with management & reporting in a Human Resources department?
  • What is "Testing software installation process" ?
  • Am I violating Copyrights law for using a part of the data in an article?
  • Work table?
  • How will do the project with marketing management students at post gradutes?
  • What do you think will give a hotel a competitive edge compared to the other existing 5-star hotels?
  • I am lost. I dont know what to do anymore?
  • The questions and answers post by the user, for information only, AnswersRoom.com does not guarantee the right
    Copyright © 2007-2009 AnswersRoom.com -   Terms of Use -   Contact us

Hot Topic